Frequently Asked Questions
1. What are the different kinds of leather available in the Indian market for manufacturing leather products?
Depending upon various parameters, 40 varieties of leather available in India - can you imagine? One can explore options like faux, genuine, full-grain, top-grain & suede. Still, people use genuine leather widely.
2. What's the difference between genuine leather and faux leather?
Genuine leather is made of hides of cattle animals like cows, buffalo, ox or goats - completely natural. Faux leather, also known as synthetic leather. In terms of durability, quality & eco-friendliness, genuine leather outperforms faux leather at every aspect.
3. Which cities are the major manufacturing centers for leather products in India?
Kolkata, Kanpur & Chennai are the top 3 positions in the list. But, the product quality & costs offered by Kolkata-based manufacturers will remain unmatched.
4. Is buffalo leather better than cow leather?
It depends on how you want to use them. Cow leather can be smoother and more refined than buff leather. For a product that needs more durability, buffalo leather can be used there. Cowhide differs from buffalo leather in terms of elasticity and thickness.
5. Which one is stronger, cow leather or goat leather?
For non-heavy usage products like small designer leather handbags, goat leather works well. It is thinner than cowhide of the same thickness & allows for good flexibility. For items that need strength, cow leather is preferable.
6. What do you mean by private label leather accessories?
Private label leather accessories are items that get manufactured by a third-party manufacturer but are sold by the retail store under a custom brand name. Starting from logo to packaging - retailers make them with a complete customisation option.
7. How can we differentiate between genuine & synthetic leather?
To differentiate between original & faux leather items, one can perform three basic tests - smell, look & fire. We have a separate blog post that can help to understand further.
8. In terms of "grain" quality, which leather type should we choose?
Always opt for the Full-Grain variant - the most common kind of leather. The full-grain leather products hold their quality, shine & durability with time.
9. What is tanning in leather production?
Animal skins and hides need to get treated to obtain leather. The treating process is called tanning. The facility in which the animal hides get treated is called a tannery.
10. Can you differentiate between the chromium & vegetable tanning process?
Sure! Vegetable tanning is a natural process that needs tree tannins & water only. Meanwhile, chrome tanning is a synthetic process. It works with chromium salts and several tanning intoxicants that need to be carefully controlled and monitored to reduce their effects on the environment.
11. Do they kill cattle for obtaining leather hides?
No, they don't - Stop listening about animal activists. Leather is not a reason to kill cattle. Leather is a by-product only. The purpose of killing cattle is their tasty meats.
12. What is a special part of Indian leather products?
Being the second-largest manufacturer after China, the leather industry dominates in India. Indian leather products have a solid presence in the international market due to the premium quality of leather hide and skilled craftsmanship.
13. Is genuine leather environment-friendly?
There are numerous false beliefs concerning this information. But let us tell our buyers that leather is purely eco-friendly. Upon throwing in the earth, natural or animal leather will be ultimately decomposed. The collagen cells in the animal skin make leather a bio-degradable item.
14. What do you know about vegan leather?
Vegan leather is a leather-like material that is not made using animal skin. Instead, vegan leather manufacturers use combinations of synthetic and plant ingredients to create vegan leather. Faux leather is a good example.
15. What should I prefer between vegan & original leather?
Original leather has several properties that vegan leather doesn't have, which makes them a good choice. Original leather can have aesthetic flaws, is durable, breathable, heat and fire resistant & can stretch and shrink naturally.
16. What do you need to know about the leather industry in India?
The leather industry is one of the most ancient and profitable sectors of the Indian economy. Approximately 13% of the global leather hides and skins are manufactured in India, where the leather sector also manages a sizable annual output of about 3 billion square feet of leather.
17. Which aspects of Indian leather goods attract overseas buyers to source their leather items from India?
Price, quality & trust - Indian leather manufacturing houses rely on these three sustainable aspects of the business.
18. Can my leather product be manufactured with custom specifications?
19. What leather corporate gifts are available to choose from?
There are countless options that one can choose from. It's possible to source leather corporate gifts such as wallets, passport holders, card wallets, leather key rings etc. with customisation.
20. Do you manufacture any special kinds of leather accessories in your factory?
We are specialised in manufacturing various Shantiniketan leather accessories like handbags. Shantiniketan Leather items are a special type of leather goods manufactured in Shantiniketan and the nearby villages in West Bengal in India only. The primary material is vegetable-tanned goat leather with artwork done using touch dyeing.
21. Are leather handbags expensive?
If you want your bags to be crafted using genuine leather, it will be expensive. But for cutting down your cost, you can go with PU leather. But remember, you should know about the pros & cons before making a choice.
22. Should I choose genuine leather bags or faux/PU material leather handbags for my accessories brand?
If you want your bags to have the best in class quality, durability, strength & usability, you must go with genuine leather handbags. At the same time, if only price matters for you, choose PU or faux. Note, the environment does also matters!
23. Which Indian city is best to source leather handbags with custom specifications?
With the easy availability of raw materials, proper pricing & qualified leather items crafting professionals, Kolkata-based manufacturers are the best you can go with.
24. Is sourcing private-label leather handbags from China a better idea?
Looking towards several aspects like quality, pricing, reliability & ease of communication; it's better to get your leather accessories manufactured in India.
25. Which countries source leather handbags from India?
Several countries like USA, UK, Germany, Netherlands & France are the best leather handbag export destinations from India. These nations import leather bags for a combined value of 85USD million (2021 figure).
26. What is the life of PU leather handbags against genuine ones?
With proper care, genuine leather handbags have a lifespan of up to 20 years. PU leather, on the other hand, can start to crack and wrinkle after just a year.
27. What to look in a handmade leather bag?
The type of leather used to make that bag is the first characteristic to look for in a handcrafted leather bag. Next, there comes craftsmanship, quality, durability & stitching quality.
28. Do leather handbags get soft over time?
Yes, leather handbags become softer with use. The natural oils in the human skin help to moisturise the leather, which makes it softer & supple.
29. Are leather bags fine for all weather?
Yes, they are. Just make sure to care properly with each use.
30. How to care leather handbags during the harsh summer & wet rainy season?
Leather handbags are perfect for summer use. Brief exposure to the heat of up to 100°C will not harm genuine leather - no issues. During the rainy season, genuine leather handbags can withstand water to a certain extent. So it would be better to cover the bag during the rain.